Skip to main content

My addiction to Email

Blog Prompt from Digital Scrapbook Place: Can you survive without e-mail? How has it changed your life?

I've never been one for writing a letter and mailing it. Of course I never really had anyone to send a letter to since my family all lived within a short distance from me. There were of course a few short-term pen pals through the years and the four years my brother was in the Navy.

In the late 1980s we got our first computer and we used AOL. At that time it wasn't unlimited use--you had a small amount of time each month to be online so I got adept at working offline. I became interested in genealogy and my world started opening up with family far and wide and I lived to sign on each night and download my Email to read. There was not the spam at that time that there is now. I would check my Email at least once a day. The only time I didn't check it was when I was on vacation, which was not a problem.

As time went on, Email became a standard in the workforce. Until I learned to set a reminder to check my Email only twice a day and how to manage my Email, my work day centered around reading Email and responding. It became harder and harder to get any work done. Although I love Email, learning to manage your Email is very important so it doesn't rule your life.

Back to the original question, can I survive with Email? Yes, for a short period of time while on vacation if I don't have Internet connection, but I have come to look forward to my Emails to see what's new in my interest groups. I still check my Email too much. My personal Email is checked at least three times a day, but usually much more.


Popular posts from this blog

June 6, 1944, D--Day Invasion at Normandy

June 6, 1944, also known as D-Day, is considered the beginning of the end of World War II in Europe. On this day in history, Allied troops (approximately 156,000) invaded Western Europe, completely overwhelming the German forces.

While my father served in the U.S. Navy during World War II, he never talked about his experiences or where he had been. Now I wished I had bothered asking him about them.

Wesley enlisted on August 26, 1942. While searching, I came across U.S. World War II Navy Muster Rolls and found my father, Wesley Earl Loghry, on MUSTER ROLL OF THE CREW was "change of resting" on the U.S.S. LST 383 on March 1, 1944, coming from BuPers C.L. 25 & 208-43. More research is needed to figure out what that means.

I became curious about the USS LST 383 and did some research. This ship was an LST-1 Class Tank Landing Ship which was built at Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Co. in Newport News, Virginia. It launched on September 28, 1942, and was com…

Immigrant Ancestors

With all the talk about immigration, immigrants, building a wall, or having to pass a test to come to the United States, I started thinking about my immigrant ancestors. They came for a variety of reasons, including to escape poverty, religious freedom, to avoid prosecution, and the promise of cheap land and a fresh start.

My earliest immigrant ancestors that I have found is probably one of the following:

Macuth Pratt who was born about 1595 and married in 1619 in  England, immigrated about 1637.John Pearson who was born 18 Jun 1615 in North Yorkshire, England who immigrated in  1637.Jeremie Swayne. No information is known about him other than he married a woman by the name of Mary and their son, Maj. Jeremiah Swayne was born on 1 March 1642/43 in Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, placing immigration before 1 March 1642.Thomas Starr who was born in 1565 in New Romney, Kent, England and died before 2 March 1640/41 in Dorchester, Norfolk, Massachusetts (no immigration record found), placin…

Summer of my 12th year

The summer of 1967 I was 12 years old and had just "graduated" from elementary school. I lived in Des Moines, Iowa with my parents, older brother, sister, and nephew. With everything going on in my life, it could have been a terrible summer, but in reality, it was a great summer. 
In May, my dad's union, the Des Moines Local 310 of the United Rubber Workers (URW) went on strike, what would turn out to be the longest strike in rubber industry history, affecting all of the major rubber manufacturers workers union's history and lasting 91 days.

My family was typical for this period--dad was the breadwinner and mom stayed at home taking care of the house and family. With dad on strike, he was not bringing home his regular paycheck. But that didn't stop him from taking care of his family. He went out looking for work. Our neighbors on both sides of us (one worked in a warehouse and another for a moving company) found extra work for my dad. In addition, he started kno…